Re: Testers wanted: reentrant resolver

From: Brian F. Feldman <green_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:38:13 -0500
Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> wrote:

> > > Where in src/tools?
> >
> > It's in src/tools/regression/gaithrstress.
>
> Yes, it looks fine to me.
>
> One other thing about your patch, probably minor.  Since h_error
> is only used for the main thread now, multithreaded applications
> that haven't been recompiled will still be referencing it
> instead of the new function.  This would seem to break the ABI,
> right?  These older applications will pick up the wrong h_error.

That's right; applications that use the mostly-deprecated h_errno API will
have to be recompiled if they want to get the right error codes.  I don't
see a way around that, so I'm not worried about it -- and I don't think any
application that doesn't do its own big giant lock around all
gethostbyname() calls should be using h_errno; if it's using getaddrinfo(),
the correct API for accessing errors is there.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \