Re: Aligning GENERIC with NOTES?

From: Quincey Koziol <koziol_at_ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:21:46 -0600 (CST)
Hi all,
    I've put my reorganized versions of GENERIC and GENERIC.hints here:
        ftp://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/pub/outgoing/koziol/GENERIC
        ftp://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/pub/outgoing/koziol/GENERIC.hints

    I've tried to add information from the NOTES files where appropriate, but
keep the changes to the comments on the devices/options/etc lines minimal so
that these commands generate a very small diff:  (I know that it's possible to
fix these commands to generate essentially no diffs, but I'll leave that perl
script up to someone with more time and perl-fu than I have right now... :-)

sleipnir# grep -v ^# GENERIC.new | grep -v ^$ | sort > & new
sleipnir# grep -v ^# GENERIC | grep -v ^$ | sort > & old
sleipnir# diff -w old new

    I didn't go ahead with reorganizing the NOTES files to be more consistent
with each other (i.e. list SCSI options, then ATA options, then NIC options,
etc) because I haven't had the time yet.

    I know that changing the format of GENERIC is a potential bikeshed issue,
but it would be nice if GENERIC wasn't _quite_ as crufty as it is...  (There's
a couple of places where options are listed in really odd orders... :-)

    BTW: it would be nice if mergemaster reviewed differences in GENERIC and
the NOTES files also...

    Quincey