Re: This has to be a bug...

From: Karel J. Bosschaart <karelj_at_kayjay.xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:29:23 +0100
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:30:47AM -0500, Justin Smith wrote:
> My system:
> FreeBSD jsmith.org 5.2.1-RC FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC #0: Mon Feb  2 12:06:30 EST
> 2004     root_at_jsmith.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386
>
> with 512 meg of RAM
>
> I have downloaded and installed the linux version of America's Army
> 2.0.0a and run it as an ordinary user (it's even installed in an
> ordinary user's account rather then /usr/local).

I haven't tried AA2 yet, but have AA1.x installed and several
other games. Although games work for me in -stable as well as -current
I usually play in -stable as -current approximately halves the FPS on
my system.

> Sometimes --- when there are several windows open on my machine ---
> running it reboots the machine. Other times it runs perfectly (like
> right after a reboot). Sometimes, when it fails (particularly the first

What video hardware are you using? I have a Geforce4 using the
nvidia driver and got used to crashes while starting games. Once the
game is up however I can't remember that I ever had a crash. It's difficult
to make a guess how frequently this happens, but since installing the
UT2004 demo (about a week ago) I had only one crash while starting the demo.
I have no idea how to reproduce these crashes :-(.

> time after a fresh install of it), it corrupts the file system in a way
> that requires one to manually run fsck. The first time I used the
> America's Army, even the manual fsck couldn't fix the fs corruption:
> there was a message "unrecoverable softupdates error".  I was able to
> mount the partition, back up my data, rebuild the file system, and
> restore the data.

Do you have background fsck enabled (default in -current)? It's a year
ago when I disabled this feature on my -current installations since the
machine would easily crash during the background fsck and cause a mess.
(I admit that running a port build during the fsck is probably not
really a good thing to do...)

> America's Army is a HUGE program (it uses almost 2 gig installed). Any
> suggestions?

I'll give AA2 a try and let you know how it is doing here.

Karel.