Re: This has to be a bug...

From: Justin Smith <jsmith_at_drexel.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:37:43 -0500

>What video hardware are you using? I have a Geforce4 using the
>nvidia driver and got used to crashes while starting games. Once the
>game is up however I can't remember that I ever had a crash. It's difficult
>to make a guess how frequently this happens, but since installing the
>UT2004 demo (about a week ago) I had only one crash while starting the demo.
>I have no idea how to reproduce these crashes :-(.
>

>> time after a fresh install of it), it corrupts the file system in a way
>> that requires one to manually run fsck. The first time I used the
>> America's Army, even the manual fsck couldn't fix the fs corruption:
>> there was a message "unrecoverable softupdates error".  I was able to
>> mount the partition, back up my data, rebuild the file system, and
>> restore the data.

Good point! I'm using a GEForce 2 card with the Nvidia driver. The only other time I got crashes like this was when I tried to run graphic-intensive applications under CURRENT (with debugging code turned on). So the nvidia driver might be responsible.

Thank you! (I'll just have to close all the windows when running this...)