Re: This has to be a bug...

From: Munish Chopra <chopra_at_soulwax.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:20:31 -0500
On 2004-02-22 13:37 +0000, Justin Smith wrote:

> >What video hardware are you using? I have a Geforce4 using the
> >nvidia driver and got used to crashes while starting games. Once the
> >game is up however I can't remember that I ever had a crash. It's difficult
> >to make a guess how frequently this happens, but since installing the
> >UT2004 demo (about a week ago) I had only one crash while starting the
> >demo.
> >I have no idea how to reproduce these crashes :-(.
>
> Good point! I'm using a GEForce 2 card with the Nvidia driver. The only
> other time I got crashes like this was when I tried to run
> graphic-intensive applications under CURRENT (with debugging code turned
> on). So the nvidia driver might be responsible.
>
> Thank you! (I'll just have to close all the windows when running this...)

A large number of apps and games that touch GL in any way will crash at
one point or another with the NVIDIA driver. The more recent your
-CURRENT, the worse it seems to get. It's probably worth noting that
most games that are based on the UT engine from 2003 or newer will crash
every second time you run them unless you restart X before doing
so. It's not bulletproof, but seems to be a rule of thumb for most
people.

--
Munish Chopra