Re: 64-bit values in sysctl

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:52:43 +0100
Bruce Cran <bruce_at_cran.org.uk> writes:
> I've also noticed that the machdep.[i8254_freq, tsc_freq,
> acpi_timer_freq] are all writable, whereas I think they should
> probably be read-only, as should kern.bootfile.

These are all intentionally writable.  The timer frequencies need to
be writable to allow proper operation on systems with broken hardware
clocks, and kern.bootfile is updated by 'make installkernel' when the
current kernel is moved aside to make place for the new one.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no