Re: would this be a useful utility?

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_efn.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:03:34 -0800
Julian Elischer wrote this message on Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:51 -0800:
> We have a toolkit that includes such things as:
>
>  showing which cylinder groups a file was allocated into
> or
>  dumping all the blocks a file is on...
>
> I've often wanted this. I wonder if it is worth importing it
> or making it a port?

ffsrecov which I did work on getting updated to UFS2, but haven't done
much, does do some similar stuff.  It has code that you enter the block
number and it will report to you which part of the file system that
block is in, such as cylinder group, file data, etc.  It doesn't dump
the data blocks, but it does dump files, and w/o much modification can
be made to dump this.

It's written in C, and will effeciently use a raw device as I added my
own caching structure to it.

ffsrecov was a util that was hacked together to get data out of a disk
that inode 2 got completely corrupted.  (and I did get the data I needed
off the disk).

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579