Re: worst FreeBSD EVAR. (crash on boot)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:06:21 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> So I'm updating from a Dec 5th kernel to today's so as to hopefully
> restore the cool pre-Dec 5th ACPI behaviour which was:
>   Hitting the power button did an orderly shutdown.
>
> Instead of Dec 5th's behaviour which is:
>   Randomly (well mostly when I fat finger ^A-n to switch screens)
>     failing to suspend to disk and then completely locking up.
>   Hitting power button does an immediate shutdown.. like power OFF,
>     no orderly shutdown, fsck at boot required, baby jesus cries etc.
>
> Well now I have a kernel that won't even boot, here's the dmesg from the
> Dec 5th kernel with a marker where the panic happens on the newer kernel
> (noted by: <<<PANIC HERE ON NEW KERNEL>>) any help would be appreciated.
>
> Machine is an old laptop, a Dell Latitude, celeron 300, 128 megs of ram.
> It seems to crash both with and without ACPI loaded now.

I have one of these at work, or something very similar.  I'll give it a
try on Monday.  That said, I booted a kernel from about two weeks ago on
it with no problems only a week or so ago.  Question: are you running the
most recent BIOS update available from Dell?

Any chance you have the whole trap message, can figure out what symbol it
is, etc?

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research