Geometry Incorrect FreeBSD-5.2.1 installation problem(s)....

From: Forrest Aldrich <forrie_at_forrie.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:51:40 -0500
I've a SOYO Dragon Platinum Edition motherboard, with SATA drives.
According to FreeBSD's installation process, my geometry is incorrectly
set.  So, I did as it asked, rebooted into the BIOS and retrieved the
figures:

Cylinders:   38309
Head:          16
Pre:               0
LandZone:      38308
Sectors:        255

I  selected the "G" command from sysinstall's menu to set the geometry
manually:  38309/16/255 (cyl/hd/sector) and it still insists the figures
are wrong.  It's defaulting back to what it believes is correct:
9729 cylinders
255 heads
63 sectors

These are 80gb SATA drives.  The BIOS is set to run in IDE Enhanced mode
(I believe).

I did a test installation and it worked, except the dreaded GRUB loader
(from a linux test install) keeps coming up (fdisk /mbr does NOT get rid
of it)... I don't know if that's the cause of this problem (doubtful).

Any clues as to what might be wrong?   The BIOS is AMI/Phoenix, and is
up-to-date.

Thanks.