Re: buildworld times

From: Vincent Poy <vince_at_oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:16:11 -1000 (HST)
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Jason wrote:

> >>On my athlon xp running at 2ghz, 512mb 400mhz ram, 7200rpm dma 133 hd,
> >>nforce2 I got 30-35min on a buildworld for current a week ago, but I had
> >>to disable my nocyrpto option in make.conf to get mergemaster to work,
> >>so that took me to 40-45min.  I used $make -j4 -s buildworld.  I'll add
> >>my config file to show how to configure for 5.2.1 or current for speed.
> >>Also I do like amd stuff better than intel, because I think the p4
> >>netbust(yes I know it is netburst, but it seems to have fallen short of
> >>expectations, at least for me)arch. sucks, so I wouldn't mind seeing
> >>some buildworld benchmarchs and  statics to which is faster.
> >
> >	I think it has more to do with the debug options as I can see from
> >your CONFIG file.  How long does your buildkernel take?  Also, is there
> >something to time the buildworld process since I notice it has a start
> >time but it doesn't tell you at the end, how long it takes exactly.  I
> >basically do a script /home/root/mw.out and then do the make buildworld
> >under that.  All I can tell is that the buildworld started at:
> >Script started on Sat Feb 28 01:53:16 2004
> >You have mail.^M
> >root_at_bigbang [1:53am][/usr/src] >> make -j4 u^H^[[Kbuildworld^M^M
> >and then it ended at:
> >===> usr.sbin/zzz^M
> >gzip -cn /usr/src/usr.sbin/zzz/zzz.8 > zzz.8.gz^M
> >root_at_bigbang [4:36am][/usr/src] >>
> >
> >	The original Willimette P4 was pretty poor in performance but I
> >think the Northwood is better.  I'm running a Northwood Mobile P4 2.6Ghz
> >CPU which is the maximum this machine supports so I don't really have a
> >choice and this is a high-end notebook at the time as it pretty much has
> >the same specs as the Dell Precision M50 with 2GB Memory which I did by
> >changing the HD, video card and also the CPU and memory.  My desktop runs
> >on a P4-3.2C with HyperThreading and 2GB and 7200rpm drives as well and
> >that machine is pretty fast.
> >
> I agree with the debugging options making the biggest difference.   I
> think my buildkernel takes about or less than 10min, I also build my
> stuff in a terminal window with x running.  You will see a speed up if
> you drop into single user mode.  The system has a built in timer, just
> type time in front of a command and it times it for you.  Yes, the p4c
> is the last p4 before they really changed things.  The whatever(ALU?)
> units that used to run at 2x clock are now at core clock speed.  I think
> they also increased the pipeline again.  The current p4 has lower ipc
> than the last model, but is going to higher clock speed(supposedly) to
> run faster all together.  They did improve serval other parts like the
> branch predictor, which must be dead on to get good performance form
> such a deep pipeline.  As for ram, the 2gigs sounds nice but infact it
> will slow you down if it is not regestered.   Intel says it won't hurt
> speed to 1gig or more and to back this up they show how you loose only
> [...]

	Yeah, thanks for the mention about the time command.  Forgot all
about that one.  The Prescott is slower than the p4c but I wonder if the
Extreme Edition is faster than the p4c.  It's hard to get 2GB of
registered ram that runs at over 900Mhz FSB since my desktop P4C-3.2Ghz is
overclocked and running at 250Mhzx4 = 1Ghz FSB instead of the 800FSB.  But
I was really talking about the notebook since when I got my notebook, it
was the fastest thing available at 1.7Ghz and I changed the CPU so often
that I'm on 2.6Ghz.  Not sure what the real world speed difference is
between a Northwood P4 and a Northwood based Mobile Pentium 4 though.

Cheers,
Vince - vince_at_WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1_at_IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin