Re: buildworld times

From: Wes Peters <wes_at_softweyr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:18:18 -0800
On Saturday 28 February 2004 06:39 pm, Vincent Poy wrote:

> 	The original Willimette P4 was pretty poor in performance but I
> think the Northwood is better.  I'm running a Northwood Mobile P4
> 2.6Ghz CPU which is the maximum this machine supports so I don't really
> have a choice and this is a high-end notebook at the time as it pretty
> much has the same specs as the Dell Precision M50 with 2GB Memory which
> I did by changing the HD, video card and also the CPU and memory.  My
> desktop runs on a P4-3.2C with HyperThreading and 2GB and 7200rpm
> drives as well and that machine is pretty fast.

Athlons seem to do a bit better at large compilations that similar P4's.
This appears to be partly due to bigger cache, and partly better brach
prediction, from what I've gathered at Anandtech and elsewhere.  My
Athlon XP 2000+, 1667 MHz home machine consistently beats my P4 2.0 GHz
work machine at compiling the same system and kernel, by 10 - 12%.

The Athlon is on a Via KT600 mobo; the P4 is on an Intel 845 mobo.  The
drives are WD800J for the Athlon and a Seagate 40GB ATA133 on the P4; I
don't know the model number or cache size.

Long live AMD!  ;^)

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes_at_softweyr.com