Sound blaster live and onboard sound

From: Kaarthik Sivakumar <kaarthik_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 02:58:19 -0500
Hi

I have a DELL 2400 that has an Intel i845GL based board. I am currently
running 5.2-RC2 on it, mainly to get support for the onboard Broadcom 440X.
This machine has onboard sound that has been turned off in the BIOS and there
is a SoundBlaster Live! card in it. I kldload-ed the emu10k1 module (and
later on just kldload-ed snd_drivers) but this sound card is not identified
and no pcm device shows up in dmesg. I have attached dmesg output for this
and the output of 'pciconf -lv', which shows the sound blaster card but with
no drivers attached to it.

When I turn on the onboard sound in the BIOS, I see the 'pcm' line in dmesg.
What exactly should I be doing here to get the sound blaster card working? I
am still running the GENERIC kernel. I searched the archives of -current but
I havent found anything of use there.

Thanks.

kaarthik