Re: Upgrading from 4.5->5.2 breaks in rescue/rescue/common

From: Benjamin Close <cisbjc_at_cs.unisa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:39:10 +1030
Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 8:12 AM +1030 1/6/04, Benjamin Close wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>     A little while ago I posted that a buildworld from
>> RELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE to RELENG_5_2 failed. Whilst I got
>> some help fixing the problem it stopped at building
>> rescue/rescue/common.
>

> If it were me, I would first try to upgrade to 4.9-"safe"
> aka 4.9-"security", make sure that was OK, and then jump
> to 5.x.  Obviously that's more work, so I wouldn't blame
> you too much if you wanted to avoid the extra builds.
>
> Also, I am not sure that would solve the problem you care
> about right now...  I'm just saying that's the way I tend
> to do things.

Yeah, I wanted to avoid doing this. Besides, there's going to be a lot
of people out there not running 4.9,
so figured it's worth me waiting and getting the real problem fixed first.

>> ===> rescue/rescue/common
>> "/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk", line 18: Malformed conditional
>> (defined(SHLIB_NAME) && ${SHLIB_NAME:M*.so.*})
>> "/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk", line 18: Missing dependency operator
>> "/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk", line 22: if-less endif
>> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>> *** Error code 1
>

> Hmm.  How recent is your snapshot of RELENG_5_2 ?
>
> I *think* the above problem was fixed in RELENG_5_2 with an
> update to rescue/rescue/Makefile, back on Dec 24th or 25th.
> The basic problem is that you're getting the wrong version of
> make.

Snapshot was after the said commit - It was meant to fix the problem but
didn't :(

> You might also be able to get around this by installing the
> new version of make (go into /usr/src/usr.bin/make and
> type 'make install').  I assume that has to work OK, but it
> is possible that it might cause you other problems.

Hmm, never thought of this one. I'll try it and let you know. It might
be worth mentioning in UPDATING if it works.

Cheers,
    Benjamin

--
3D Research Associate / System Administrator     +61 8 8302 3669
School of Computer and Information Science       Room D1-07, ML Campus