Re: Upgrading from 4.5->5.2 breaks in rescue/rescue/common

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:15:37 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Benjamin Close wrote:

> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
> > If it were me, I would first try to upgrade to 4.9-"safe"
> > aka 4.9-"security", make sure that was OK, and then jump
> > to 5.x.  Obviously that's more work, so I wouldn't blame
> > you too much if you wanted to avoid the extra builds.
> >
> > Also, I am not sure that would solve the problem you care
> > about right now...  I'm just saying that's the way I tend
> > to do things.
>
> Yeah, I wanted to avoid doing this.

It's never been supported to upgrade to -current from anything less than
the most recent -stable. The fact that it accidentally works sometimes
is purely coincidence.

Also, it's highly recommended that you actually back up your important
files and do a clean install of a new branch. This is especially useful
for 5.x because you can take advantage of the opportunity to newfs your
file systems with UFS2.

You can of course pursue the beating your head against the wall path,
it's your time. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't work.

Good luck,

Doug