Re: Open-motif installation

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:23:06 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, raver wrote:

> > You seem to be hitting the # of files resource limit.  While this is
> > running do 'sysctl kern.openfiles' and see if it is getting close to
> > the
> > value of 'sysctl kern.maxfiles'.  If it is then you need to increase
> > kern.maxfiles and kern.maxfilesperproc.
> >

> I checked kern.maxfilesperproc and its value is 324 by default, so I
> increase it up to 20000, the same value as kern.maxfiles.

You may need to use the limit or ulimit command to raise your # of files
limit for your session after doing this (since it inherits the value at
process creation).  You might also check that to see what the current
setting is.

I remember running into that limit in the past, the motif build does
something lame that loads a huge number of manpages for some odd reason.