Re: Future of RAIDFrame

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:34:44 +1030

On Saturday, 10 January 2004 at 16:44:10 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org> writes:
>>
>>> I started RAIDframe three years ago with the hope of bringing a proven
>>> and extensible RAID stack to FreeBSD.
>>
>> I'm having trouble seeing what RF does that Vinum (or at least a
>> properly GEOMified Vinum) can't do...
>
> Please read the RAIDframe documents at http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/RAIDframe
> before you ask again.

People, I think we should make it clear that neither Vinum nor
RAIDFrame are perfect.  We shouldn't chuck either out at the moment,
and it would be really nice, as phk suggests, to have people working
on both.  Both are rather old now, but they contain good ideas.  It
would certainly be an excellent idea to improve them both.  We
shouldn't be trying to compare their relative merits at the moment.
Wait until they regain their strength.

I'll answer phk's suggestions separately.

Greg