Re: rc.suspend/rc.resume acpi support added

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:26:58 -0500
Nate Lawson wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Lukas Ertl wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> > This helps for uhci where we have to unload and reload usb.ko across
>> > suspends since it doesn't re-initialize correctly.  See the usb
>> > comments in the files for an example.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, usb.ko can't be unloaded, because it has no
>> detach method connected. (At least I wasn't able to unload it.)
>>
>> Anyway, this bandaid wouldn't work on this machine, since I tried to load
>> the usb module after a suspend and UHCI still wouldn't work (see
>> kern/59747) - it seems like all controller register bits are set, and I
>> couldn't find a way to clear them.
>
> Oops, you're right.  It may help for sound drivers though.
>
>> The UHCI controller works fine with APM suspend, though.

It'll help me on my IBM Thinkpad A30p too. I actually got ACPI successfully
working under FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE, but I couldn't use it because I HAD to
execute `atacontrol detach 1` to unload my CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive before suspending
and rc.suspend wasn't supported by ACPI under 5.1-RELEASE.

Now, if I can manage to get ACPI working again under 5.2-RC2 or -RELEASE then
I'll be able to actively make use of ACPI suspend/resume.

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,