Re: Look ma, the kernel don't compile no more...

From: Jamie Bowden <ragnar_at_sysabend.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:27:44 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2004-01-09T20:19:41Z, Jamie Bowden <ragnar_at_sysabend.org> writes:

> > I got a clean build after re-cvsuping (looks like I picked up 3 more
> > file changes or so, at least one to the tcp bits).  This is the first
> > time my multiple cvsup system has failed me, guess I'll increase the
> > sleep time between.

> Out of curiosity, why would multiple syncs be better than just one?
> Wouldn't the final sync be the same whether you'd done several before it
> or not?

Not based on experience.  I always do multiple cvsups with a timed sleep
between until I get two in a row that don't checkout new, modify, or
remove existing files.  Usually three is sufficicient; the first updates
my local source and the second and third confirm that I didn't checkout
during the middle of a commit.  Every now and then, I'll have to do a
fourth as the second will modify a few more files.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"