Re: devfs.conf support for wildcarded devices

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:47:25 -0500
Sean McNeil wrote:

> I saw a previous post once on this, but I haven't seen support for
> wildcards implemented.  I've gone ahead and tried what I think is a
> workable mechanism to support this.  Please let me know if this would do
> what I think people are interested in (it does what I want ;)

Why bother? Use the rule system and put something like this in /etc/rc.local:

# devfs permission changes for userland digital camera access
devfs ruleset 10
devfs rule add path 'ugen*' mode 664

# devfs permission changes for userland external HDD (usb & firewire) access
devfs rule add path 'da*' mode 664

That's what I do.

AFAIK, /etc/devfs.conf only works for static devices. If a device is created
dynamically it probably won't apply the permission changes. The rule system,
on the other hand, works well all the time.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,