Re: Look ma, the kernel don't compile no more...

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:57:41 -0800
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:27:44AM -0800, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>
> > At 2004-01-09T20:19:41Z, Jamie Bowden <ragnar_at_sysabend.org> writes:
>
> > > I got a clean build after re-cvsuping (looks like I picked up 3 more
> > > file changes or so, at least one to the tcp bits).  This is the first
> > > time my multiple cvsup system has failed me, guess I'll increase the
> > > sleep time between.
>
> > Out of curiosity, why would multiple syncs be better than just one?
> > Wouldn't the final sync be the same whether you'd done several before it
> > or not?
>
> Not based on experience.  I always do multiple cvsups with a timed sleep
> between until I get two in a row that don't checkout new, modify, or
> remove existing files.  Usually three is sufficicient; the first updates
> my local source and the second and third confirm that I didn't checkout
> during the middle of a commit.  Every now and then, I'll have to do a
> fourth as the second will modify a few more files.

This only deals with one of the two possiable problems.  This problem is
that you update while the cvsup server you are talking to is updating.
This does nothing about the problem where the server you are updating
from updates while cvsup-master is updating from repoman[0].  There's
nothing to be done about that case since the server won't update more
then once an hour.

-- Brooks

[0] There's also the problme where cvsup-master updates in the middle of
a commit, but from the user's perspective, there's no way to tell that
from the previous case.