Re: [acpi-jp 2999] Fujitsu Function Button ACPI Module (FJEX)

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:29:25 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Anish Mistry wrote:
> I've been sitting on this for a while waiting to hear back from the primary
> author, but no word after a few weeks, so I'm posting it to see what
> people think.  This module allows a program to receive events when the
> function buttons are pressed.  It's companion userland program fujiapp
> hooks in and receives and event when a button is pressed and show the
> level.  It has only been tested on the Fujitsu P2000 series laptops, but
> may work on other models with the FJEX acpi device.
>
> Sean's website:
> http://www.stalker.org/~sean/freebsd-p2040/FujiApp/
>
> My modifications to make it a loadable module:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/acpi_fjex.tgz
> and just fujiapp without the module source included:
> http://am-productions.biz/docs/fujiapp-1.1.tgz

You should use acpi_UserNotify() to send events to userland.  The events
will appear on /dev/devctl and can be parsed by devd.  If you can do what
you want via devd.conf, fine.  If you want to have your own program
reading /dev/devctl, you'll have to implement device cloning for
/dev/devctl first or not run devd. (A current deficiently in devctl is
that only one reader can be present at a time.)

-Nate