Re: Status reports - why not regularly?

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:08:36 -0700
Hi,

There seems to have been quite a bit of discussion about this while I
was sleeping.  Since I'm the one who has done these reports, I'll toss
in some comments.

The primary reason why the reports have gotten less frequent is because
of lack of time on my part.  It is _not_ (as some suggested) because
developers are too lazy to send me reports when I ask for them.  It just
happens that whenever it's time to start soliciting reports for the
bi-monthly thing, either a release cycle has just start or just ended.
So I'm either swamped or highly burnt out.  I enjoy putting the reports
together, and I really do feel bad that I haven't kept up on them since
they are so valuable.

The bottleneck in this process is not that it takes too much time/effort
to put them together.  Taking all of the submissions and turning them
into a report takes about 1-2 evenings.  There is of course a but of
overhead spent on sending the solicitation emails and reminders, but
it's not all that bad.  It really comes down to me being too busy to
remember to start the process.

There was a hint at suggesting that we should move to the Linux LKML
model, where someone follows the mailing list and writes brief summaries
on it.  I think that that would be an excellent project, and I highly
encourage someone to take that on.  However, I don't think that that
would totally replace the bi-monthly report, since those allow the
developers to go into a bit more detail than what can be summarized on
a list.  So I think that both forms of reports could complement each
other very well.

As for having another bi-monthly status report, let me start up the
process tonight for the Nov-Dec 2003 report.  Stay tuned.....

Scott