rpcbind signal6 on boot. no syslogd, no rc execution, etc.

From: Edwin Culp <edwinlculp_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:57:29 -0800 (PST)
Hardware:
Dell PowerEdge 1600SC/XEON 2.4 1GB ram. ServerWorks
BIOS

This is really weird, so weird that I feel that I
should apologize even before begining to explain.
Sorry.

When I boot the server I go to single user and
everything is perfect.  I run fsck -y -f and
everything is great.  When I exit to multiuser, the
shit hits the fan.  It comes up almost immediately
but, syslogd isn't started, rpcbind exits with signal
6, the rc scripts are not executed and I get nothing
in the log file because syslogd isn't running :-(  I
just did a verbose boot and have put it at:

http://local-3.viviendaatualcance.com.mx/dmesg.boot

Although I don't see anything unusual.  The only thing
strange that I've done in the last couple of days is
add the ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf to get gaim running.

Initially, I can't run syslogd, rpcbind, mountd, etc.
but what I've been able to do is go through the rc
configuration files manually and do a 100% manual
configuration from ifconfig, moused, ntpd, route,
hostname, start everything in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and
then I am miraculously I am about to run syslogd,
rpcbind and mountd???  Could this be an issue with
order?  I just don't understand.  After this it works
perfectly until I reboot.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to what I
could have done to cause this because I am pretty sure
it is me but I have no idea how.

Thanks,

ed

Additional, somewhat superflous, Information:
This machine has up to date sources, world, kernel and
mergemaster.  It is a couple of months old and begin
life about the time of 5.1 release.  It has been
cvsuping and building world, kernel and running
mergemaster daily.  Ports have been upgraded and it
has been rebooted weekly.