Re: Problem mounting CD-ROM since 5.2-RELEASE

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_compgeek.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:43:00 -0600
On 1/15/2004 1:33 AM, Mike Schreckengost wrote:
> Hello everyone, I recently installed FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE and can no
> longer mount my DVD+RW drive. Everything was working fine under both
> 5.1-RELEASE and 4.9-STABLE versions of FreeBSD. The symptoms of the
> problem are as follows:
>
> 1) During the boot process, I (sometimes) receive the following
> kernel error message: "acd1: FAILURE - READ_BIG
> status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=ILLEGAL REQUEST error=0"
>
> 2) When I try to mount the drive, I receive the following: "cd9660:
> /dev/acd1: Input/output error" ... and the kernel (sometimes) prints
> the message appearing above in symptom #1.
>
> What I've done:
>
> 1) I've tried enabling/disabling DMA for the drive using atacontrol.
> 2) I cvsup'ed to the latest -CURRENT as of 01/14/04. The problem
> still persists.
>
> What I have:
>
> The DVD+RW drive is connected to a Sil0680 ATA-Medley UDMA133
> controller card. Other information can be found in the attached dmesg
> output. Any help or suggestions will (of course!) be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance, Mike

I started a similar thread 2 days ago called "5.2-RELEASE: unable to
mount cd-roms".  Søren responded on that thread and said "it looks like
you arent getting interrupts", but I don't really know what that means.
  Maybe that will help you...

A verbose dmesg might be more helpful to those in the know -- run "boot
-v" from the boot loader and post the dmesg you get from that
(preferably posted to a web site given the size).

Jon Noack