rpc.lockd resource starvation

From: Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen_at_stat.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:16:03 -0500
I'm running 5.1-RELEASE on my NFS server and my ~50 NFS clients.  Over a
period of a few weeks, the rpc.lockd daemon on the NFS server will consume
all the privileged udp ports and start using high-numbered ports.  With no
available privileged udp ports, the server is unable to mount NFS shares from
other machines.  (There are probably several other unfortunate consequences
of which I am not yet aware...)  Is this behavior expected from rpc.lockd,
or might it be a bug (or just me breaking my systems again)?

Thanks!
Eric

--
Eric van Gyzen                        Sr. Systems Programmer
http://www.stat.duke.edu/~vangyzen/   ISDS, Duke University