Re: rpc.lockd resource starvation

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:07:10 -0600
In the last episode (Jan 15), Eric van Gyzen said:
> I'm running 5.1-RELEASE on my NFS server and my ~50 NFS clients.
> Over a period of a few weeks, the rpc.lockd daemon on the NFS server
> will consume all the privileged udp ports and start using
> high-numbered ports.  With no available privileged udp ports, the
> server is unable to mount NFS shares from other machines.  (There are
> probably several other unfortunate consequences of which I am not yet
> aware...) Is this behavior expected from rpc.lockd, or might it be a
> bug (or just me breaking my systems again)?

wow

I think you just told me why my two busiest NFS servers had to be
rebooted a few months ago (one with 440 days of uptime :( ).  Does the
mount fail with "mount: Can't assign requested address"?  If so, it
also happens on 4.x servers.  Currently, they have 214 and 109 open
reserved ports (after 102 and 73 days uptime, respectively), and I'm
betting there are no more than 5 files actually locked on either
system.  I wonder if it's just not closing sockets when it's done with
them?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com