Re: 5.2-RELEASE: Possible bug in filesystem code?

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:57:30 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Daniel Papasian wrote:

> I really hate to potentially create some distress over something that may
> be very difficult to repeat, but...
>
> I was working on a 5.2-RELEASE system that had been improperly shut down,
> and while the background process was checking/fixing the consistency of
> the filesystem, I did a relatively disk-intensive process (installed a
> port) and the system crashed in an apparent panic.

It would help ti give the actual reproduction scenario so we can all try
it :)

If your filesystem is low on space I can see this happening.  Background
fsck creates a snapshot to do its work, and you do a whole bunch of nasty
stuff on a disk with low resources (or memory?) it can blow up.

Would be nice to fix, though.