Re: REVIEW: cleanvar.patch

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:45:33 -0800
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:29:43PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:

> >>Has you considered /bin/pax?
> >
> >It seems like that would require a complete rewrite of how we handle
> >directory creation in the build/release process.
>
> Not necessarily.
>
> It's relatively easy to convert an mtree file to a tar
> file.  (Just expand the mtree file into a temp dir, then
> tar up the result.)  Then we could have both mtree
> and tar files in /etc/mtree.
>
> Nothing else needs to change, and that gives us something
> that can be used with /bin/pax on populate critical
> dirs on systems before /usr is mounted.

That's true.  The idea of creating directory hierarchies just to tar
them up during buildworld seem a bit evil though.

> P.S.  Hmmm... It looks like it would be easy for
> libarchive to also read mtree files.  Then
> bsdtar's built-in features for converting archive formats
> on-the-fly might be useful here.  Hmmm....

This would deal with my concerns about making all the directories.  This
would yeild a reasionable, single stage method of creating source files
for populating directories without requiring mtree.  I like this idea.

-- Brooks