Re: LOC per committer?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:40:29 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Colin Percival wrote:

>    Has anyone done any graphs of lines-of-code for each committer over
> the lifetime of the project?  I know that rwatson produced all sorts of
> graphs relating to the number of commits, but lines of code is something
> I haven't yet seen anywhere.

Well, there were some stats running at some point relating to the output
of cvs annotate, which shows you the "most recent version of any given
line on a tag".  However, it's a bit hard to measure lines of code,
because CVS is much more about maintaining sequential patches/diffs, and
so there is a lot of noise due to the diff context.  Those number used to
be substantially skewed also by lines that haven't changed since the BSD
import; it's also not clear how to handle things like contrib, which can
involve a lot of work, but generate "few lines of code".

However, since you asked :-).  Take a look at the commit logs embedded in
the CVSROOT.  The format has changed once or twice, and there have been
nits, but they're very useful for generating a summary of all commit
activity, including sizes of patches committed in each commit.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research