Re: Downgrade FreeBSD 5.1 or 5.2 -> 4.9

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:19:06 -0500
At 9:01 AM +0100 1/22/04, Sessler, Enrico wrote:
>Hello,
>
>is there a way to downgrade from FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE
>or 5.2-CURRENT to the latest 4.x version?

This would be very hard for us to support, and I expect you
will have a lot of trouble trying to do an "in place"
downgrade to 4.x.  You will have much less trouble if you
just resign yourself to backing-up the data you need to some
safe place, and do a fresh install (ie, reformat the drives
using the 4.9 installation discs, and install everything from
scratch).

I realize that is a lot of work.  However, I am pretty sure
that will be less work than trying to do a "simple downgrade".

>Note: I have no console access to the machines only
>telnet/rlogin. Thus using a boot floppy/CD is not possible.

This makes it even less likely that you will be successful
doing a downgrade to 4.9.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org