Re: Downgrade FreeBSD 5.1 or 5.2 -> 4.9

From: John Kennedy <jk_at_jk.homeunix.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:33:10 -0800
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:19:06PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> ...  You will have much less trouble if you just resign yourself to
> backing-up the data you need to some safe place, and do a fresh
> install (ie, reformat the drives using the 4.9 installation discs,
> and install everything from scratch).

  Will 4.x and 5.x play nice if they have a partition (slice?) in common?

  For example, /home that was mounted by both a 4.x and 5.x depending on
whatever was booted at the moment.  Probably have UFS issues, but I don't
know if 5.x will "corrupt" a 4.x filesystem.

  I downgraded via reinstall once, but set up two partitions so I could
work on either one if I wanted to.  I haven't tried mix-n-match though.