Re: Page fault while in kernel mode

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:19:31 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Scott DF wrote:

> It was suggested I post to this list from Usenet CUBFM.  Here is my post
> to that list.
>
> --- original post ---
> After upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2, I get a panic when I try to boot. I
> can boot into single user mode, but a normal boot produces this:

> fault virtual address = 0x5d
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc059c4de
> stack pointer = 0x10:02cbe61bbc
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xcbe61bd4
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process = 508 (lkdload)

The obvious thing that comes to mind here is a mismatched kernel module.
Try inhibiting as many modules from loading as possible (boot single user
if you have to), booting, then moving /boot/kernel out of the way (its a
directory), then rebuild & reinstall the kernel again. Also move /modules
out of the way since those aren't usable anymore.

Is the NVidia module being used?