Re: 5.2 and Dell Inspiron 5100

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:30:20 +1030
On Thursday, 29 January 2004 at 17:01:44 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 16:53, Jonathan T. Sage wrote:
>> Hello - recently purchased a dell inspiron 5100.  Out of the box, 5.2
>> installed wonderfully.  More than wonderfully.  The only issue I ran
>> into was with X. I am unable to use X with agp support compiled into the
>> kernel. While this is a perfectly acceptable workaround, I was curious
>> if there is a fix for this issue (DRI/DRM would be great sometime down
>> the road).  If not, and me not being a coder, what information might I
>> be able to provide that would help the process along in getting this
>> card to work properly "out-of-the-box".
>>
>> Any infortmation would be fantastic
>
> Search the archives on freebsd-mobile for answers to this.  Greg Lehey
> has done some extensive work on this issue, and has an even nastier
> workaround.

The problem I had, which may no longer exist, was that the video BIOS
was not all mapped (specifically, the last 16 kB were not mapped).
The X server accesses this area at startup to get information about
the display, so it fails.  My solution was to compile the video BIOS
into the X server, agreed a very nasty workaround.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jul2003.html#25 for more details.  The
correct answer, of course, is to find out why this area isn't being
mapped.  FWIW, Knoppix Linux works fine.

Greg