Re: # of labels per slice [was: Re: bsdlabel on root disk]

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:28:43 +0100
On Friday 30 January 2004 18:14, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2004 18:03, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Sorry, I know that this question arose several times, but I couldn't find
> > anything useful via google and I never paid attention because I never
> > thought I'd have that problem, but now I do:
> > How the heck can I manipulate the bsdlabel on the root disk?
> > The machine is some hundred miles away so I can't boot from CD to do
> > that. I have to write a new label to a running system!!!
>
> Ok, I found that bsdlabel works but sysinstall doesn't. (Why?)
> But now I have the problem that I can't create labels higher than "h".
> If I remember correctly I should be able to create 16 labels per slice. Am
> I wrong?

Yes I am :( I think I mixed it up with OpenBSDs disklabel where 16 partitions
are allowed.
Wouldn't it be a great thing to have more than 8 labels per slice in FreeBSD
too?
My intention was to give every jail it's own mountpoint so size was absolutely
fixed.

Regrettably it exceeds my skills to adopt the OpenBSDs (NetBSDs) disklabel.
Is anybody else interested in more labels?

Thanks,

-Harry