Re: Panic in login?

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:47:20 -0400
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:55:00AM -0400, Damian Gerow wrote:
> I've been having troubles ripping some CD's lately (notably, the EMI
> copy-protected ones), in that they keep on causing my machine to freeze.  To
> further diagnose, I logged into a console, and ripped -- everything went
> fine, until I closed my tcsh session.
>
> I had two open -- the first closed fine, and the second resulted in a panic
> in login.  Unfortunately, I hit the reset button before I could get down
> any of the db trace, so I don't know how useful this will be:
>
>     Stopped at spec_close+0x5a      cmpl 0x8(%ecx),%ebx
>
> And that's all I've got in my memory.  These are from sources dated the eve
> of June 24.
>
> I'll try to reproduce...

I'd really like it if you could find out more about this.  I've had my
system freeze for exactly the same reason :-(  I think it could possibly
be related to the bogus detachment code wrt. devices that are still open
from userland/requests that are still in-flight, but I'm still waiting
to get my CD back so I can try again.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \