Re: Query on status of cross-builds

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:50:17 -0700
On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 12:19:36AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > No. It's a compiler bug on sparc64. I think the old binutils just
> > didn't complain about the invalid instruction. I compared the
> > output of the native cc and the cross cc and they are different.
> > Not much, but fataly so.
> >
> Yes, I produced that diff as well (by using -save-temps).
> Unfortunately, I don't know sparc64 assembler at all...

[context: the faulty instruction is the fstox in the following snippet]

        fmuls   %f8, %f9, %f8
        fstox   %f8, %f7
        st      %f8, [%fp+2031]

As far as I can tell, the fstox is faulty because the target
FP register is a double extended FP, which therefore has to be
an even numbered FP register. The native cc uses %f12, while
the cross cc uses %f7.

Simply replacing %f7 with %f6 or %f8 resolves the problem. Note
that %f8 should have been the register, because it's used by
the subsequent st instruction.

I have no idea why a cross cc would trigger this. Maybe there's
a flags field with more than 32 flags and defined as long. On 64-bit
machines this works out well, on 32-bit machines this breaks.
I dunno...

> But why it worked before BU upgrade?  (We didn't have
> these tinderbox failures.)

The old binutils may not have checked for this. This may or may
not have resulted in faulty machine instructions.

> Does GCC use some of the BU bits internally?

No. The compiler goes no further than emitting assembly language.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net