Native preemption is the culprit [was Re: today's CURRENT lockups]

From: Thorsten Greiner <thorsten_at_tgreiner.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:49:40 +0200
* Bosko Milekic <bmilekic_at_freebsd.org> [2004-07-05 17:16]:
> 2. What scheduler are you running with, have you tried the other
>    one?

4BSD. Did not try ULE.

> 3. Is DDB, INVARIANTS, and/or WITNESS compiled into your kernel?

Tried with DDB, INVARIANTS and WITNESS. Still froze solid.

> 6. Do you have serial console, if so can you get anything once
>    the seeming "lockup" occurs? (it may not be a lockup, you
>    might just not be able to see anything because of X dying).

No, unfortunately not. I am sure it is a hard freeze, because
usually I can iniate a clean shutdown by pressing the power-off
button (via ACPI).

> 7. Can you turn off ACPI and see if the problem goes away?

Since Gleb Smirnoff reported the problem with ACPI off and mine is
happening with ACPI on it seems unlikely that ACPI is the culprit.

> 8. Can you backout the preemption change (jhb a few days ago)
>    and see if the problem goes away?

I have manually backed out the changes introduced by the commit
referenced here:

    http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200407021721.52787.jhb

Sofar I was unable to reproduce the freeze.

Maybe Gleb or someone else experiencing the problem can try this,
too?

Regards

        -Thorsten

--
It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct
one.

This message is digitally signed. To verify its integrity, download a copy
of GnuPG for your operating system from http://www.gnupg.org .