Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier_at_fillmore-labs.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 01:20:08 +0200
Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> On Monday 05 July 2004 04:02, Rob wrote:
>> Colin Percival wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes please. :-)
>>
>> I remember that portupgrade is intentionally not in the base system, to
>> allow easier updates for a running system. This way it can be more
>> often
>> updated than the official releases, to reflect changes in the ports
>> system.
>
> And that's a good thing. Perhaps somebody wants to investigate if some
> sort of
> packages-only, C based updater which does not need a local ports tree
> to work
> is feasible. That could very well have a place in the base-system and
> also
> further promote and ease the use of binary packages.

Which doesn't mean it couldn't be part of the 'ports base'. I'm
investigating
whether a combination of pkg_install and bsd.port.mk couldn't make a
`make upgrade' feasible. Currently we just upgrade the pkg_install tools
on
older systems by installing them as a port, so no problems from this
side...

-Oliver