Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 07:37:38 +0200
On Monday 05 July 2004 04:02, Rob wrote:
> Colin Percival wrote:
> > At 08:12 04/07/2004, Joel Dahl wrote:
> >>1) Is there a need for a rewrite of cvsup and portupgrade in C so that
> >> they can be included in the base system?
> >
> > Yes please. :-)
>
> I remember that portupgrade is intentionally not in the base system, to
> allow easier updates for a running system. This way it can be more often
> updated than the official releases, to reflect changes in the ports system.

And that's a good thing. Perhaps somebody wants to investigate if some sort of
packages-only, C based updater which does not need a local ports tree to work
is feasible. That could very well have a place in the base-system and also
further promote and ease the use of binary packages.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org