Re: moving /usr to another partition

From: Charles Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:55:53 -0400
On Jul 5, 2004, at 5:50 PM, Don Lewis wrote:
> On  5 Jul, Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke wrote:
>> Diskspace is running low, so I'd like to move my /usr to another
>> disk.  [ ... ]  If you have any hints or alternatives, please let me
>> know!

"rsync -a" is a pretty good way of backing up a tree of stuff.  You can
also use a tar pipeline as per it's manpage.

> I'm pretty sure that "restore -r" will do the right thing and just
> unpack the dump archive into the current working directory.  I'm pretty
> sure that I've done this in the past.
>
> I don't understand the warnings in the man page:
>
>      -r      Restore (rebuild a file system).  The target file system
> should
>              be made pristine with newfs(8), mounted and the user cd'd
> into
>              the pristine file system before starting the restoration
> of the
>              initial level 0 backup.

These warnings are due to the way dump handles files which are hard
linked to each other.

Basicly, the dump format simply archives the inode # used by a
hard-linked file, and restore depends on being able to use that same
inode # when extracting a tree of files where some of them are
hard-linked to each other.  If you restore to a clean filesystem which
was freshly newfs'ed, restore doesn't have to worry about the inodes it
wants to use already being used by other files.

--
-Chuck