Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:45:23 -0500
On Tuesday 06 July 2004 11:32 pm, Steve Kargl wrote:

> The discussion is about integrating an cvsup knock-off into the base
> system.  Can you say bloat?  Can you say bugs?

I guess I just don't see it that way.  cvsup is so absolutely necessary for
system maintenance that it seems like a logical addition.  I would imagine
that a client-only version in C would be much more heavily developed than the
current ezm3 version.   In turn, this should reduce bugs and the eliminate
the need to install what is effectively a single-program language.

>> For example, OpenBSD doesn't have an m3 port for non-x86 platforms

> So, let Theo write a m3 port.

I wish he would, because it would probably be more portable then the current
system, which would allow more people to use it, which would turn more
developer eyes toward it, which would give us a better tool to use.  As it
stands, cvsup is "that weird thing that FreeBSD uses".
--
Kirk Strauser