Re: bringing /etc/services up to date

From: John Merryweather Cooper <johnmary_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 04:38:36 -0700
On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 04:12, Drew Broadley wrote:
> Colin Percival wrote:
>
> >  I've put together a patch to bring /etc/services up to date with
> >almost a decade of IANA port assignments.  Unfortunately, this
> >turned out to be rather larger than I expected: It adds 6400 lines,
> >and increases the size of /etc/services from 73 kB to 327 kB.
> >  Is anyone going to be very unhappy if I go ahead and commit this?
> >
> >Colin Percival
> >

> What are the netstat calls to /etc/services like with the update, any
> performance decrease ?
>
> (I cannot think of any other application that uses them off the top of
> my head)
>
> - Drew

ipfw uses /etc/services if you use, e.g., "domain" instead of "53" in
your rules.  I would hope any application that seriously used
/etc/services would read it once, store it in some speedily accessible
form, and work from there.  As a flat, human-created file, /etc/services
would not be my candidate for efficient program access.

jmc