Re: unkillable process in physrd-sttae

From: Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx_at_aldan.algebra.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:46:55 -0400
=> As I was playing a DVD, the picture stopped and everything seemingly
=> froze. I was able to login from another machine and look, what's
=> happening.
=
=I see this regularly, both DVD-Video playback and reading of files off
=data DVD. Workaround is to list directories and read files from the DVD,
=it will unstuck blocked process too. Or, issue

I'm not so much concerned about the DVD-playback (`cdcontrol reset' is
my workaround), but for the possibility of a process getting into a
state, where it can not be killed. NFS-related issues used to be like
this, but, it seems, `umount -f' works now.

=# atacontrol mode 1 udma33 xxx
=
=(in case your DVD unit is alone on secondary IDE channel)...

Thanks, I'll try that too. Currently I just run

	while (1)
	cdcontrol reset
	sleep 1
	end