Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Maxime Henrion <mux_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:37:25 +0200
Vladimir Dyuzhev wrote:
> ehlo.
>
> >> CVSup is a single threaded non-GUI app.
>
> >I suggest you check your facts before posting.  CVSup is inherently
> >multi-threaded and it has a GUI.
>
>   I know that it has GUI (for some unknown to me reason). I never
>   installed the GUI version though (and never seen it). I can't even
>   find a reason to do so. So the GUI in CVSup is something artificial.

Yes, the GUI in CVSup isn't of much use.  It's even stated in the manual
page.  Csup won't support a GUI (or at least I won't write one).

>   Multithreadness in CVSup... well, as any "downloader" it could
>   be done multithreaded (and by your words CVSup is done that way),
>   and it can provide some gain, but it's not a must-be.
>
>   So, I referred not to the way the CVSup *was* implemented, but to
>   what language features are *enough* to implement it.

It _is_ a must-be.

Please go take a look at the CVSup webpage and click on the "Why is
CVSup so fast?" link.  CVSup is far more than a "downloader" and the
way it is designed makes it inherently multi-threaded.  It's of course
theoritically possible to write it single-threaded but it would be a
real nightmare, and it would also be rather stupid IMO.

Maxime