Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Maxime Henrion <mux_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:57:49 +0200
Vladimir Dyuzhev wrote:
> ehlo.
>
> >Please go take a look at the CVSup webpage and click on the "Why is
> >CVSup so fast?" link.  CVSup is far more than a "downloader" and the
> >way it is designed makes it inherently multi-threaded.  It's of course
> >theoritically possible to write it single-threaded but it would be a
> >real nightmare, and it would also be rather stupid IMO.
>
>   I like threads by myself.

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking threads.

>   But looking on the description what that threads in CVSup do, I think
>   it could be easely achieved with fork or finite state machine.

You do not know enough about CVSup (as you have already shown) to be able
to determine whether doing things differently is easy or not, so please
stop trying to guess.  The small description I pointed you at is not enough
material to know.  Maybe you're going to think I'm an ass for being harsh,
but I wish you'd stop now.  I know what a finite state machine is.  The only
thing you are doing right now is being insulting with me.

>   I do not going to insist on it, though.

Cool.

>   Looking forward to see the csup in the *base* distribution.

Thanks.

Maxime