Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Gustavo A. Baratto <gbaratto_at_superb.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:17:49 -0700
An opinion about having a csvup-like program in the base system, from a user
that is not a developer :
- It is a real pain to go find the cvsup package everytime I need to setup a
freebsd box... the versions are different for each freebsd release,  and I
can never use the same URL with pkg_add... If I could, this wouldn't be a
big deal, because I could just script this once and use many times.
I use cvsup to sync /usr/src and /usr/ports. The first think I do (and
probably everybody else) after installing a RELEASE, is to cvsup /usr/src,
and buildworld to apply the patches and stress-test the box before going to
production. When I first started using freebsd about 2 years ago, I was
wondering why a so much needed and widely used tool was not present in the
base system, while things much less used and more dangerous were
(bind,ntp,sendmail,telnetd,etc).  Having a cvs-like program in the base
system is not just a natural addition, but pretty much requirement for most
simple users like me.

Rsync is another tool that should be considered going to the base system as
well.

thanks guys :)