Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Maxime Henrion <mux_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:23:02 +0200
Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> If Maxime has the time and the will to rewrite cvsup in C, then
> there isn't much reason for anyone to argue with him over it.
> Things get done by people who do the actual work, not by people
> arguing on the mailing lists.
>
> I personally like Modula-3 as a language, and I wish it were more
> readily portable, etc.  However, no matter what merits Modula-3
> has as a computer language, the FreeBSD Project is pretty much a
> C-based project.  It should not be all that much of a shock that
> a FreeBSD developer might want to rewrite CVSup in C, the same
> way that we have rewritten a number of Perl scripts into C.
>
> To me, the big question is "When will it be ready?".  It would be
> nice if we could start testing the rewrite in wider variety of
> situations.  We will need to do that if we hope to switch to
> using it.

I hope to be able to release a beta version of csup soon now.  Be
sure that as soon as I think it's ready for it, you'll be one of the
first (with John Polstra, of course!) I'll contact.  I want that to
happen as soon as possible, so that we have a chance to test it for
as long as possible before 5.3-RELEASE.  However, my limited free
time doesn't permit me to go as fast as I would.  Anyways, the only
big feature still missing in csup before it's really interesting to
start testing is the status file support.  I'm currently doing some
various cleanups and will get to that as soon as possible.  Once this
is done, I'll release the beta.

Cheers,
Maxime