Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:25:10 -0400
If Maxime has the time and the will to rewrite cvsup in C, then
there isn't much reason for anyone to argue with him over it.
Things get done by people who do the actual work, not by people
arguing on the mailing lists.

I personally like Modula-3 as a language, and I wish it were more
readily portable, etc.  However, no matter what merits Modula-3
has as a computer language, the FreeBSD Project is pretty much a
C-based project.  It should not be all that much of a shock that
a FreeBSD developer might want to rewrite CVSup in C, the same
way that we have rewritten a number of Perl scripts into C.

To me, the big question is "When will it be ready?".  It would be
nice if we could start testing the rewrite in wider variety of
situations.  We will need to do that if we hope to switch to
using it.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org