Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

From: Maxime Henrion <mux_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:21:49 +0200
Vladimir Dyuzhev wrote:
> ehlo.
>
> >I think that everyone that bitches about CVSup being written in Modula-3
> >hasn't looked at what the language features of Modula-3 are (OO, good
> >exceptions, threading built into the language, simple GUI, ...)
>
>   CVSup is a single threaded non-GUI app.

I suggest you check your facts before posting.  CVSup is inherently
multi-threaded and it has a GUI.

>   And OO and exception are not worse in C++.
>
> >M3 because it was a very good language for the job -- C and C++ isn't.
>
>   C isn't. C++ is.

I'm starting to get nervous reading e-mails from ten different people
each with its own opinion on what the best language to write CVSup with
would be.  This is particularly annoying since apparently none of these
people ever looked at the actual code (the fact that you think CVSup is
not a multi-threaded application makes that particularly obvious in your
case), and thus aren't qualified at judging this.  Nor are these people
willing to do the actual work.

So now, please everybody listen.  I did look at the code.  I chose C and
while it's probably not the best language to write CVSup with, it's far
from being bad at this task.  It has actually been _very_ helpful for
some parts of the code.  And finally, I'm doing the work here and it
works.  If you think I'm wasting my time and prefer to use the m3 version,
noone will prevent you from doing so.  If you want to rewrite CVSup in yet
another language for some reason, noone will prevent you from doing so.

In any case, please stay silent, you're not being helpful at all.  We're
not interested in a language flamewar to determine what would be the best
language for CVSup.  Please, let this thread die.

Thanks,
Maxime