Re: WITNESS bug (Was Re: kern/68442: panic - acquiring duplicate lock of same type: "sleepq chain")

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:13:46 +0200
Am Sonntag, 4. Juli 2004 21:42 schrieb Daniel Lang:

[...]
> > Btw, the addition of WITNESS is indeed something that has
> > changed since all the trouble started. When the machine was
> > still running in a stable fashion I did not have WITNESS
> > enabled. I did it, when I put in more memory and built a PAE
> > kernel and left it in since.
>
> [..]
>
> I am now more convinced, that the bug is indeed in WITNESS itself.
> Without WITNESS the machine is running rock stable again now
> for three days. With WITNESS enabled it has crashed within minutes,
> uptime at most a few hours. Also the stack trace I got points
> into WITNESS code.

I'd like to contribute a completley unqualifide note:
When I build a -current kernel with WITNESS and I use the nvidia driver (not
the GL-Part, just the kernel module and the x-driver) the system freezes
without panic or anything else, only a powercycle helps.
After removing WITNESS the box is running fine. Now for about 3 Weeks without
any problem.....

If I can do any tests please give me instructions, I'd love to help.

-Harry